ACS RPL Equivalent

Ron74

Hi all,

I am trying to meet the points for Aus migration.

I have work experience which I can match for Computer Network and Systems Engineer assessed by ACS.

But unfortunately my qualifications will not match with ICT criteria as per ACS.

I have 3 years full time Diploma completed in 1999 and 1 year full time MSc completed in 2006, which ACS does not accredit as ICT. I don't have a bachelors degree.

I've been employed at three different employers in three different countries since 1999 up to now related to same ANZCO job.

What possibilities are there for me to get points on my educations and work experience?

When ACS assess with RPL.. do they equal my qualifications as eaqual to bachelor's degree level and if they do.. can I use that to get 15 points at points test?

Did the ACS recognise the diploma? They did one of mines (and I wasn't even going to add it, as I have an honors degree too). So they may accept the diploma as having equivalence to an IT course. If you have no other IT-related qualifications then it's all down to work experience and whichever dates they set as being the date you can use to count your experience from.

As you may only have the diploma, I would presume they would knock off a number of years of the experience. I could only claim 3 yrs in the end, despite 6 years commercial experience. You may be able to claim 10 years since you have 15 all-in. All depends on what dates they'd recognise your work experience from.

Hi peterc1983,

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't apply yet for ACS assessment. But I'm pretty clear with their information provided in the website that my diploma will not be ICT equivalent. It is majoring Electroninc and Telecom.

My MSc is about 50% IT but again it is only a one year full time course. But ACS mentions in their website as below,

++++++++++

Non ICT Diploma or Higher

 If your degree is assessed with insufficient ICT content, you will require 6 years relevant work

experience completed anytime in your past work history, plus a suitable Recognition of Prior

Learning (RPL) application to meet the suitability criteria.

++++++++++

1. If I pass above RPL, do they accredit my Diploma too (even if its not ICT)? So I can use it for DIAC points for a Diploma.

2. Or do they only say I am eligible to apply for xxxx ANZCO job and this much of my experience is valid? So how can I prove DIAC I have equivalent australian Diploma qualification to get the points.

++++++++++

A post graduate qualification (Graduate Diploma or Masters) that do not require a Bachelor with an ICT

major for entry into the course, must have:

• A minimum of 3 semesters or at least 1.5 years of full-time study

• At least 2 semesters or 1 year of full-time equivalent ICT content

• A minimum of 12 units or subjects (overseas degrees may contain less units or subjects)

• 50% ICT content for a 2 year Graduate Diploma or Masters qualification

• 33% ICT content for a 3 year Graduate Diploma or Masters qualification

+++++++++

3. With above it seems my MSc will not be assesed as a ICT MSc.

4. Even if they accredit it, again I cannot use it for DIAC points as they don't accept MSc without a BSc. So I have to use the Diploma points for DIAC? Again how can I prove DIAC I have equivalent australian Diploma qualification to get the points.

Having said that, are there any instances that ACS recognizes a Diploma + One year MSc as equivalent to a Australian ICT BSc degree? If yes would DIAC accept it to award points of a BSc degree.

Appreciate your views.

Thanks

Edited by Ron74

Based on the above qualification you could not claim any points for Educational Qualification for DIBP based on your studies of descipline coz its not ICT related but i don't know if you had submitted the project for RPL. As for you working experience yes you could. ACS assessed skills on your past 10 years working experience only and not your entire year. You are on RPL route, right ACS would take 6-8 years experience from your past 10 years so expect that you could have 2-4 years accredited working experience so that would be 5pts you could claim from DIBP.

Hi,

Thaks for the reply... I think you are correct in educational qualifications. For work experience, since I have 14 years .. they will deduct 8 ueays max out of that,, so still I have 6 years left to claim 10 points.

But I can't meet the total without points for education... :(

Hi,

Thaks for the reply... I think you are correct in educational qualifications. For work experience, since I have 14 years .. they will deduct 8 ueays max out of that,, so still I have 6 years left to claim 10 points.

But I can't meet the total without points for Bte. education... :(

Btw. if you don't mind can you give the breakdown of your estimated points so we can check where else we find other points for your qualifications...thanks!:)

I think you need to speak to a migration agent - I only have my own experience to go by but I understand the situation as follows. You do not need a relevant degree to gain a positive skills assessment from ACS - my OH has a HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and completed a ACS RPL and with 7 years experience had a positive skills assessment.

Getting a positive skills assessment from ACS does not however enable you to claim that your qualifications are equal to a Bachelors Degree.

You can however have your qualifications assessed by Vetassess - the criteria they use are not the same as the ACS and therefore you may well be able claim the education points this way.

In my case I do not have an IT degree and had my skills assessment by Vetassess, however my work experience claim was IT - because my quals and work experience were both on the SOL even though they were in different fields we were able to claim the spouse points.

Another route for you, depending on the precise nature of your role would be to be wholly assessed by Engineers Australia - as a Telecomms Engineer for example. There is no firm boundary between IT & Engineering and in fact I was invited to present at a Engineer's Australia conference where the topics were almost all software related.

Or if all else fails take further qualifications to meet the requirement - you could probably do this part-time and/or distant earning and with RPL based on the qualifications you have complete it quite quickly - a year maybe?

Btw. if you don't mind can you give the breakdown of your estimated points so we can check where else we find other points for your qualifications...thanks!:)

Hi,

Its interesting to see everyones support in this forum. Thanks a lot.

My points will be as below,

Age - 25 pts (Only up to Nov 14, So I'm already late but hope to try as ACS takes only 12 weeks to assess)

Work experience - 10 pts for five years (I have 13 years in total but ACS will deduct 8 years)

Education - 10 pts for the Diploma (Not clear how to get it assessed though)

English - 10 pts ( Will try to make it 20 during the time taken by ACS to assess)

Regional Sponsorship 5 pts (If available at the time of application)

Spouse skills - 0 (My spouse got a recognised IT degree but no work experience :( )

Edited by Ron74

I think you need to speak to a migration agent - I only have my own experience to go by but I understand the situation as follows. You do not need a relevant degree to gain a positive skills assessment from ACS - my OH has a HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and completed a ACS RPL and with 7 years experience had a positive skills assessment.

Getting a positive skills assessment from ACS does not however enable you to claim that your qualifications are equal to a Bachelors Degree.

You can however have your qualifications assessed by Vetassess - the criteria they use are not the same as the ACS and therefore you may well be able claim the education points this way.

In my case I do not have an IT degree and had my skills assessment by Vetassess, however my work experience claim was IT - because my quals and work experience were both on the SOL even though they were in different fields we were able to claim the spouse points.

Another route for you, depending on the precise nature of your role would be to be wholly assessed by Engineers Australia - as a Telecomms Engineer for example. There is no firm boundary between IT & Engineering and in fact I was invited to present at a Engineer's Australia conference where the topics were almost all software related.

Or if all else fails take further qualifications to meet the requirement - you could probably do this part-time and/or distant earning and with RPL based on the qualifications you have complete it quite quickly - a year maybe?

Hi, Thanks for the reply and suggessions.

Vetassess seems not assessing IT/Telecom skills or qualifications?

Acs RPL. Used my degree to have 6 years experience deducted by ACS. I then applied for my visa and DIAC accepted just the certificate (I didn't need to show vetassess assessment for degree only).

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Can you kindly mention what was in the certificate? Your degree must have been certified by ACS for DIAC to award points for that?

Any chance of ACS considering my one year MSc plus 3 years diploma to certify me an equivalent of a Degree :(

Edited by Ron74

• 11 months later...

Good day ... Need some help in understanding the rpl result .. The assessment was positive but they didn't mention anything about my qualifications.. I have completed my bachelors in maths . Physics and chemistry and I have a total of 9 years experience .acs mentioned that it considers experience from 2012 only .. What should I do for claiming my degree points ..

I was going through the Vetasses page and they mentioned that i should be referred by ACS / DIBP . Can i submit the assessment request without reference from DIBP. I checked with ACS and they updated that they will not provide any reference letter.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance

Good day ... Need some help in understanding the rpl result .. The assessment was positive but they didn't mention anything about my qualifications.. I have completed my bachelors in maths . Physics and chemistry and I have a total of 9 years experience .acs mentioned that it considers experience from 2012 only .. What should I do for claiming my degree points ..

I was going through the Vetasses page and they mentioned that i should be referred by ACS / DIBP . Can i submit the assessment request without reference from DIBP. I checked with ACS and they updated that they will not provide any reference letter.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance

WRussell (agent on here) advised that I didn't need to use VETASSESS to have my non-IT degree assessed. I sent it to VETASSESS but applied at the same time and claimed my degree (15pts).

Upon receiving the invite I provided a certified copy of my degree, along with my scores etc and it was accepted with no questions asked. (I had a copy of VETASSESS which had come through but I didn't provide it as it would be dated later than my EOI).

They may be more picky if your degree comes from somewhere that is harder for them to verify.

Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

My situation is similar to you but only difference is I submitted Vetassess outcome to DIBP and date is later than EOI.

I did it only to make Co's job easy.

Do you think that this will cause an issue or refusal to me?

WRussell (agent on here) advised that I didn't need to use VETASSESS to have my non-IT degree assessed. I sent it to VETASSESS but applied at the same time and claimed my degree (15pts).

Upon receiving the invite I provided a certified copy of my degree, along with my scores etc and it was accepted with no questions asked. (I had a copy of VETASSESS which had come through but I didn't provide it as it would be dated later than my EOI).

They may be more picky if your degree comes from somewhere that is harder for them to verify.

Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...
Acs RPL. Used my degree to have 6 years experience deducted by ACS. I then applied for my visa and DIAC accepted just the certificate (I didn't need to show vetassess assessment for degree only).

Hi GetMeDownUnder

I'm also in the same situation and confusion. My work experience has been assessed positive to 261313 ANZCO code by ACS, but they have not assessed my qualification as it's non-ICT(Bachelor of Engineering in Production). I checked with a migration agent & she has access to the list where DIPB checks. As per her, i'll get 15 points for my degree

Now I'm not 100% sure whether I should go ahead & submit an EOI or get my qualification assessed by VETASSESS alone. There are dependents travelling with me, so the visa fees is huge (approx. 6 Lakh INR)

Pls. suggest